Excepted from Victoria’s sermon “Body Parts” on Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians, January 27th, 2019.
My job as pastor here is not to keep each of you busy, nor is it to keep us busy together. And it is certainly not to perpetuate loneliness.
- My job is to pay attention to your individual faith journey.
- My job is to call forth and utilize your particular gifts.
- My job is to encourage and challenge each of you to grow in your relationship with the divine.
- My job is also to pay attention to how the whole body of Christ here is functioning.
- My job is to create meaningful, life-giving experiences for us to have together as pilgrims on the journey of faith.
- My job is to work with you to figure out how to be excellent stewards of all that has been entrusted to us.
- Sometimes my job is to comfort, affirm and reassure;
- sometimes my job is to provoke, stretch and challenge;
- sometimes my job is to laugh, delight and enjoy;
- sometimes my job is to teach, equip and strengthen.
- Always, my job is to listen, to lead, and to love.